Holiday travel can be exciting and fun. The Mexican border is a popular vacation site during any holiday. Use these three tips to stay safe while you spend your holidays here.
#1. Exercise caution:
- Stay aware of your surroundings. Put your smartphone away. Being distracted on your cellphone makes you an easy target for a watchful thief.
- Dress nice, but not too nice. Don’t wear expensive looking jewelry. Criminals are looking for targets who appear to have more money to steal. Expensive jewelry operates like a sign that says to a criminal, “Pick me! Pick me!”
- Keep your camera in a bag or purse. Looking like a tourist makes you an easy mark for a would be thief.
#2 Ensure you have all your documents when you travel.
- Documents. Make copies of your travel docs and give the copies to someone for safe keeping. While we all expect to return from our trips, not every trip goes as expected. If you lose your documents or become ill, a quick phone call to a trusted friend or relative can save untold misery if an emergency arises.
- Money. Exchange money at your bank or a reputable exchange service. Shop around for good exchange services, if you plan to use cash. Even better, use a dummy wallet with a little bit of change that you can throw to a mugger. If you never have to use it, great. If you do, it may save your life!
- At Customs: Have the docs ready when you cross back into the US. Without documents, you WILL be delayed returning to the US until someone in the US can prove your citizenship. Sitting in a customs waiting area can put a big damper on your holiday plans!
#3 Deny predators anonymity!
- Travel in a group. Numbers provide safety when you are in an unfamiliar country. Predators look for people who are by themselves. It gives them anonymity. Staying with a group makes you a less attractive target.
- Stay in well traveled, well-lit locations. Again, this denies a criminal a place to lurk.
- Get home before dark. Enough said there!
While you stay with us, we want you to have the best holiday yet! If you have plans to be in Del Rio for 4th of July, check out our short term fully furnished apartments for the week you are here. Our locations are in safe neighborhoods and provide your own place to get away from the hustle and bustle of the holidays.
Capri Temporary Housing. Let us be your home away from home.